Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ooops! No running, but I hit the cross training!

I was supposed to run 3 miles yesterday!  My knees were very tender after my 6 mile run on Sunday so I decided to take a running break.  I have Monday's off at my 2nd job so I was able to hit the gym and do some cross training.  Cross training is not my favorite thing to do, mainly because I have had a hard time finding something I like as much as running.  But that might be because I haven't tried much else.  So yesterday I stepped outside of my box and clocked some gym hours!  Yesterdays training was:

26 min Seated Elliptical(usual cross training machine)
10 min stationary bike
1 hour yoga class
1 hour Aqua Zumba class

I meant to do 25 minutes on the seated elliptical but I was logging my time/cal and went over!  Always a plus!  I would have done longer on the bike but all of the yoga students that were on the machines started to head to the yoga class!  What does that have to do with anything you ask?  Well, if I wanted a spot, I had to get in there because they are very territorial about the exact spot they yoga in, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't out in the hall doing yoga!  That might be a little awkward!  After class I was leaving and saw a co-worker leaving a spin class.  She said, "Why don't you come back and do the Aqua Zumba class tonight with me?"  I said, "cause I don't want to.  I ran 6 miles yesterday and my legs hurt."  She said, "Well it might just make them feel better."  I said, "Okay, I will let you know."  Of course, I had no intentions of going to that class.  I have a little bit of a problem committing to someone that I will meet them to workout.  Long story short, years ago I worked out with someone and if I couldn't make it cause of a sick kid or other reasons, she would go on and on how her whole workout routine was messed up cause we couldn't meet.  So I vowed to never be responsible for someone else's workouts!   My co-worker knows this and she said, "Either way, I will be there so if you make it, that's great and if you can't no big deal."  She knew just what to say to help me step out of my box and I love her for it!  Oh, and I loved the Aqua Zumba class.  So much fun and no one can see you mess up cause your mistakes are hidden in the water!  Not a huge fan of swimming but really loved the class.  Going to get my water shoes tonight just in case I decided to take the class again!

I had wanted to take a week off of running after finishing my FAST training and hit as many classes at the gym to try new cross training and see what I like.  Unfortunately due to my work schedule this week and the gym's class times I can't hit as many as I would like.  So, I am going to hit a few and still do my running cause I can do that anytime and don't have to schedule it!  My plan is to try to hit a new class each week until I try them all.  Then when I run out of classes at my local gym I might try other classes at other gym's! 

I am very happy that I chose not to run yesterday and tried something new!  I think it is okay to deviate from the plan as long as it doesn't become a habit of not doing workouts!  

I might be posting my giveaway tonight or tomorrow, if I get my giveaway items in hand!  So keep watching for it!  It has to do with 6's since I ran my 6 miles!

4 comments:

  1. Mindy - This is the first blog I have ever read and am glad that I did. I have read yours from beginning to your most recent post. This is my second post because the first one disappeared when I went to post it. I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of you. This should show you that you can do whatever you set your mind to. I think you figured out the hard part and that is to be proud of your accomplishments and say WOW instead of beating yourself up and become self-defeating. You really have done a good job toning and losing weight. I hope to run with you in TX. Keep up the great work. Also, way to go Aaron for supporting her and even joining her. It sure does help me with Jim going to the gym. Happy 17 years together.

    Your older sister (as you like to tell everyone),
    Joyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyle, I will have my running shoes on since they will take up too much room in my suitcase, but I def want to run too! Can't wait to see you! I am proud of you and your hard work also!

      Delete
  2. Way to go mindy! So proud of you. You continue to amaze me. I would love to say I am a runner and share my after run drink but haven't worked out in awhile! However I did join a fitness club about five minutes from my house. So maybe in the near future I can say I did a run but I will share my favorite drink anyway-- peppermint hot chocolate from Starbucks!

    Your sister-in-law and friend,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goood girl sometimes it's fun to try different things and find out what you really like. When you watch the biggest loser they're always doing different things. I would think it would keep things interesting and not get monotonous that way. Keep up the good work WOMEN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete