Monday, July 9, 2012

Marathon Weight Loss Challenge
I mentioned in a post about a weight loss challenge that one of my fellow bloggers is hosting!  It is called the Marathon Weight Loss Challenge(MWLC), loss 26.2 lbs in 13 weeks or 13.1 in 13 weeks.  I am choosing the 26.2 lbs in 13 weeks.  If you didn't have that much to lose it didn't matter.  The winners aren't the ones that lose the most.  You just get entered into drawings for reporting your loss, sending pics of you working out or submitting photos/recipes/cal count of a food item you eat during MWLC.  We had our initial weigh in on June 18th and the challenge ends September 17th.  I am running in the Quad Cities Marathon on September 23, 2012 as part of a 5 person team to complete the 26.2 mile race.  My leg is the shortest at 3.3 miles.  I was able to go this weekend to check out where I will be running and to get an idea of the terrain.  This MWLC couldn't have come at a better time.  I was stuck at a plateau and couldn't seem to lose even though I was doing the workouts.  But I was told before that you can't out workout a bad diet and still lose weight on a consistent basis.  Yep, they were right.  I had given up fast food for breakfast and lunch.  I had decreased my visits to Starbucks for my high calories drinks.  And when I did go to Starbucks I started going with the Nonfat milk, no whip cream and half the pumps of syrup they used.  I had also added more fruits, veggies and yogurt to my diet.  But I had not changed my portions of regular meals or counted/tracked what I had been eating.  I knew I needed to make the change but I just hadn't done it yet.  Then Jess at runwithjess.com decided to host this challenge, just what I needed.  I have stuck with the working out, decreased the running/walking slightly, added more cross training and feel a need/desire to workout instead of HAVING to workout.  I also decided to try myfitnesspal.com as my tracking tool.  I tried it a few months before the challenge and didn't care for it.  I decided to revisit it and I do like it.  I can enter my info on my phone, iPod, Nook and computer.  With my iPod I can scan a bar code and it puts the nutritional info in for me.  It asked my weight, gender, age and current activity level to come up with my daily calorie allowance.  I can also put my workouts in and it will tell me how many calories I burned.(Although I use a Heart Rate Monitor to calculate my calorie burn as I feel it is more accurate for me)  I try not to use any/too many of my workout calories for food intake.  I want to lose 2 pounds a week and have been able to do it so far with this tool.  I even went on a mini vacation this last weekend(4 days)  and still had a great loss.  I think part of that is because I sat outside for 3 of the 4 days in 100+ degree temps to watch softball and sweated a lot out.  But with myfitnesspal.com I was able to stay on track and be accountable for what I ate.  I even had a small piece of birthday cake and still had a loss because I could figure out the calories for the cake without guessing.  Knowing I have this tool helps me from feeling like I can cheat.  I have no excuses to not enter info since I can use 4 different devices to enter the info.

I will be listing my actual weight as I post my results as I have already given my beginning weight back in September in the story I wrote for http://sexymotherrunner.blogspot.com/.  I am not a big fan of divulging my actual weight but if it helps one person be able to start a journey of weight loss/working out then it is worth it! 

My beginning weight on 9/25/11 was 343.6. 
My weight at the beginning of the MWLC on 6/18/12 was 313.2(total weight loss 30.4 in approx 9 months)
Week     Current Weight      Week loss     Challenge loss
Week 1  310.8                    -2.4               -2.4
Week 2  309.2                    -1.6               -4.0
Week 3  304.2                    -5.0               -9.0

So as of today I have lost a total of 39.4 lbs since September 2011. 

What helped you kick a weight loss 
in gear after a plateau?

4 comments:

  1. Great start! I am not having as much luck, but I know what I need to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's how I was before the challenge! You will do awesome! You have done such a great job with your journey! I swear, I must have sweat at least 3 lbs off this weekend! I have to be good this week to maintain! Lol! Hope you do good, I know you will!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Great job on the weight loss. I'm doing MWLC too :) So far so good. I have no problem exercising consistently (have been for over a year) - but the eating is my problem. I love myfitnesspal. I am so motivated by numbers and tracking that it's really helping! GOOD luck with the rest of the challenge - will be watching for updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I love the number tracking also! Keeps me motivated! Good luck with you MWLC!

      Delete